If you’ve been intimidated by rhubarb and unsure how to cook with it, fear not! Rhubarb is a delightful veggie that pairs well with sweet flavors, thanks to its sour, fruity taste. It works particularly well with ginger in this delicious syllabub, a sweet whipped cream dessert that you probably didn’t know you needed in your life. Give this recipe a try tonight for the ultimate dose of self care.
Rhubarb & Ginger Syllabub with Caramelised Pistachio
Ingredients for 2 servings
-200 g rhubarb
-6 g ginger
-20 g tbsp brown cane sugar
-40 g tbsp sugar
-60 ml white wine
-60 g mascarpone
-100 g whipping cream
-2 tsp powdered sugar
-1/4 tsp ground vanilla
-20 g tbsp pistachios, unsalted
- Wash and chop rhubarb into pieces.
- Peel and grate, or finely chop ginger.
- Add rhubarb and ginger to a pan with the white wine, brown sugar and half of the white sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the rhubarb has softened.
- If you are using whole pistachios then chop finely and add with the remaining sugar to a small pan. Melt for approx 3-4 min. being careful not to burn the mixture.
- When the nuts are covered in melted sugar, pour onto a lined baking sheet and leave to cool.
- In a bowl, whisk the mascarpone, cream, vanilla and powdered sugar until soft peaks begin to form.
- Remove a little cooled rhubarb from the pot and mash with a fork until smooth. Then fold in to the cream mixture.
- Divide the rest of the rhubarb into the bottom of a glass and layer with cream mixture. Top with some caramelised pistachios and remaining rhubarb.
Nutrition facts per serving
What do you want to cook today?
Discover 3 yummy and easy to cook recipes in our App every day! KptnCook is a free app that inspires people to cook at home, providing easy access to a wide range of recipes. Cooking should be easy, fun, and stress-free, which is why KptnCook has partnered with food bloggers from all around the world to bring busy people three new delicious 30 minute recipes every day.
Available for download from Google Play or the App Store today!
Cook in style! Check out our shop to get yourself a cute new pair of shoes!