If you just purchased a pair of our shoes, or any delicate fabric shoes for the matter, you probably want to know how to go about cleaning them. Just because shoes are often out of sight, doesn’t mean they don’t deserve to look as fresh as the rest of your outfit!
Keep your shoes looking as good as they did when you first bought them by using this comprehensive step by step cleaning tutorial.
What you’ll need:
- Shoe cleaning solution (laundry or kitchen detergent works too)
- Bowl of water
- Brush with soft bristles (designed for scrubbing delicate material like knit, suede or leather… but an old toothbrush will also do the trick)
- 2 cloths: one to use for cleaning and one for drying (preferably a microfiber cloth)
- Newspaper or paper towels
- Fill the bowl halfway with cold water. Make sure to give yourself some extra room to prevent water from overflowing when you clean the cloth and brush in the bowl. Put some cleaning solution or detergent into the water to dilute. Mix.
- Stuff your shoe with a dry cloth (or microfiber cloth) to absorb excess liquid. This will also make it easier to clean as it will provide support from inside the shoe.
- Start by working on any stubborn dirt and stains. Take the soft brush and dip it into the water solution. Apply firm but gentle pressure when you scrub to avoid damaging the shoe’s delicate material. Knit fabric is especially easy to fray.
- Dip the other cloth in your water solution and wring it out. Wipe and remove any remaining soil on the shoe. Again, be careful! Clean along the design and not against it so you don’t accidentally wear down the fabric.
- After eliminating the dirt, go over the entire shoe once more to remove any foamy residue left from your water solution.
- Now, take the dry cloth (microfiber cloth works best) and pat down the shoe to absorb as much water as possible.
- Stuff the shoes with newspaper or paper towels to keep the shape and form. But don’t overstuff them — you don’t want to stretch them out!
- Allow your shoes to air dry, (though avoid direct sunlight to keep your shoes from aging and color fading) for 12-24hrs to fully dry.
- Enjoy your newly cleaned, dirt-free shoes!
If you haven’t had a chance to check out our shop, browse through our selections of Jen and Lily ballet flats now!
Images by Shutterstock!
If you like the images in this post, check out the originals here.